A burning question.

Author:Donaldson, Sonya A.
Position:Brief Article

QA I'm interested in burning I my own CDs. What kind of equipment should l buy and how much will it cost me?

--E. Johnson Windsor, Ontario

To burn your own CDs, you'll need either a CD-R or a CD-RW drives. A CD-R (Compact Disc-Recordable) lets you write or burn files to a CD just once--you won't be able to erase it and rewrite new information, as you can with a CD-RW (hence the ReWritable part of the name).

The kind of drive you get will depend on what you plan to do, but there are two basic things to consider before you buy: speed and cost.

The speed of the drive is important for obvious reasons: It determines how fast your drive reads and writes information onto a compact disc. On a CD-RW, you'll find three sets of numbers: the first is the speed at which it writes data, the second is the speed at which it rewrites...

To continue reading